Security Message to U.S. Citizens: Demonstration in Kuala Lumpur on November 25, 2016
The U.S. Embassy in Malaysia advises U.S. citizens that there will be a demonstration in front of the Myanmar Embassy on Friday, November 25, 2016 beginning at approximately 2:00PM.
The Myanmar Embassy is located on Jalan Ampang Hilir, near the small traffic circle. While the demonstration is expected to be peaceful and police presence will be significant, the area near this demonstration should be avoided for the duration of the event (anticipated to last 1.5-2 hours). At the present time, demonstrators are expected to march from the Tabung Haji Mosque on Jalan Tun Razak to Jalan Ampang to the Myanmar Embassy (see attached map). During the protest, alternative routes should be taken because Jalan Ampang Hilir and the adjacent traffic circle likely will become impassable. Organizers are hopeful that up to 2,000 protestors may participate in this event, but this number has not been confirmed and could vary significantly.
While most demonstrations in Malaysia are peaceful, the U.S. Embassy advises you to exercise caution and to be aware of your surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. You should monitor local media to keep updated with the latest information about demonstrations and areas to avoid. Local law prohibits non-Malaysians from participating in public demonstrations.
For further information:
* See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Malaysia Country Specific Information.
* Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
* Contact the U.S. Embassy in Malaysia, which is located at 376 Jalan Tun Razak 50400, Kuala Lumpur and is open 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. To reach the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit of the Consular section, please call (03) 2168-5000 or send an email to KLACS@state.gov.
* Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
* Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.