The Malaysian Meteorological Department has warned of heavy rains and flooding in the state of Johor, with flood warnings in effect in the states of Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, and Johor through March 2, 2023.
Malaysia maintains up-to-date weather information across a variety of official government websites, with many webpages available in both English and Bahasa Malaysia. Many government agencies also provide regular updates on social media. Below are several Malaysian agencies which routinely provide weather-related information:
- Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia): Issues weather forecasts and warnings for all states in Malaysia.
- MetMalaysia on Twitter
- Malaysian Department of Irrigation and Drainage (JPS): Maintains a website with active flood warnings, and also offers the option to register to receive flood alerts for your region.
- JPS on Instagram
- Malaysian National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA): Shares a wide variety of weather and natural disaster information, including information on flooding.
- NADMA on Twitter
Monsoons and thunderstorms can lead to storm surges, high winds, heavy rain, flooding, mudslides, and can cause extreme storm damage. This could include damage to infrastructure (such as roads, electricity, and phone and internet service), and shortages of habitable accommodations, food, water, and medical facilities. U.S. citizens in Malaysia are advised to prepare in advance for weather-related emergencies, and to monitor local government flood warnings and other natural disaster updates.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local government and news websites and/or social media for
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- For more information, review the below Department of State pages:
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
Email address: KLACS@state.gov
Embassy website: https://my.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Malaysia Travel Advisory
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter