Abandonment Of Legal Permanent Residence (Green Card)

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status.  Please also note that once you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa for future travel to the U.S.

Any individual with Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status may file a Form I-407 to formally record abandonment of LPR status.  There is no filing fee for this form.  The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of an individual who is 17 years of age or younger may file a Form I-407 on behalf of the minor; signatures from both parents or legal guardians are required.  Review the I-407 instructions document for complete information.

Filing by Mail:
Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, Form and Fee Information 

To voluntarily abandon your lawful permanent resident (LPR) status/turn in your Green Card. 

Who May File or Receive Service:
Any individual who wishes to abandon his or her permanent resident status and give up his or her Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). 

Filing and Other Special Instructions:
You can submit this form by mail to:

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
PO Box 567
Williston, VT 05495 

For FedEX, UPS, DHL or other express/registered deliveries:
USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
Williston, VT 05495

You will need to turn in your Permanent Resident Card, if available, along with any other travel documents issued by USCIS. Do not submit any non-USCIS issued documents such as a state-issued driver’s license or a Social Security card. For additional information on how to submit your form, please visit the Form I-407 webpage. If you have questions regarding Form I-407  please contact USCIS Contact Center.

Filing in Person at the Embassy: If choosing to file the I-407 form in person at the U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, you must make an appointment through the Immigrant Visa (IV) Unit at KLIV@state.gov. You should bring your original permanent resident card, current valid passport and one copy of each to the interview.  Do not sign the form until Consular personnel have instructed you to do so.

Whenever you travel to the United States or apply for a U.S. visa, bring a copy of the processed I-407 as you may be requested to present a copy of the form.