The process of obtaining an immigrant visa is complicated and can take significant time to complete.
In general, the process starts with the filing of a petition by the applicant’s family member or prospective employer. In almost all cases the petition must be filed in the U.S. with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Once approved, petitions filed with USCIS will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which will contact the petitioner and/or applicant with required forms and further instructions. Once NVC has received all the required forms and documents, it will schedule an interview appointment for the applicant at the Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. Until an appointment is scheduled, the Embassy will not have any information on a case and will not be able to answer any questions about it.
If a petition is accepted and approved at the Embassy, we will provide the applicant and petitioner the required forms and full instructions on applying for the visa.
When filing a petition, most applicants will need the following. (We are providing this list only to give applicants a general idea of what to expect and to help them prepare. Please do not send anything to NVC until requested.)
- Form DS-260
- Two copies of Form G-325A (PDF – 513 KB)
- Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos.
- Form I-864 Affidavit of Support from the petitioner, with the petitioner’s most recent U.S. federal tax return. There are several versions of the I-864; do not complete until NVC or the Embassy tells you which one is appropriate for your case. Further information can be obtained here.
- Originals and photocopies of civil documents such as birth and marriage certificates. See here for details on documents which must be provided.
- For applicants 16 years and older, a police certificate from any country where the applicant resided for more than one year. Information on how to obtain a Malaysian police certificate is available here. Information on obtaining police certificates from other countries can be found here.
- All applicants must undergo a medical exam by an Embassy-approved physician approved by the Embassy. Information on the medical exam can be found here. You will receive instructions on how to make an exam appointment from NVC or the Embassy. Do not try to make an appointment before receiving these instructions.
Other items may be required in specific cases.