An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States


All nonimmigrant visa application fee (also known as the MRV fee) payments made on or after October 1, 2022, are valid for 365 days from the date a receipt is issued for payment of the MRV fee.  Applicants must schedule an interview appointment or submit an interview waiver application during this 365-day period.  Please note applicants must only schedule their interview or submit their waiver application within the 365-day period.  There is no requirement the interview must occur during the 365-day period.  All receipts for payment of MRV fees issued before October 1, 2022, were extended until September 30, 2023, and remain valid until this date.

Important Information about Visa Appointments

We contract with a private company, CGI Group, Inc. to help us process visa applications. You can make an appointment, and obtain other information on the application process, at their website, https://www.ustraveldocs.com/my/en/.

Many questions can be answered by our visa processing contractor, either through their website, or contact them at:

Agents are available Monday – Friday from 9am to 5pm Malaysia time, except for Malaysian and U.S. Holidays.

Non-residents are welcome to schedule a visa interview appointment in Malaysia. Please investigate Malaysian entry requirements prior to scheduling an appointment and note that we do not issue same-day visas.  Make sure you schedule your appointment as a non-resident to avoid being turned away when you appear for your interview appointment.  Appointments fill quickly, but you can check back regularly as we add additional appointments when possible. The current wait time for a non-resident visitor visa appointment is 30 days.

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program, which is administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

The Visa section of this website is about U.S. visas for foreign citizens and nationals to travel to the United States.

Visit Travel.State.gov Visa Waiver Program, which is administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States. When planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

What Type of Visa Do You Need?

For short-term visits to the United States (for tourism, business, education, and more), you can go directly to USTravelDocs. For immigrant visas,  which are issued to foreign nationals who intend to live and work permanently in the United States, you can visit the U.S. citizenship and Immigration Services site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure what type of visa you need, please use the Visa Wizard below.

Colorado Sand Dunes