Location: Eastern Area of Sabah State
Issue: Potential for kidnappings
The Embassy would like to remind U.S. Citizens that there is a threat of kidnappings-for-ransom from both terrorist and criminal groups. These groups may attack with little to no warning targeting coastal resorts, island resorts, and boats ferrying tourists to resort islands.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in eastern Sabah. U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to parts of eastern Sabah.
Read the Safety and Security Section on the country information page for further information regarding the Eastern area of Sabah State.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
- Phone number: +603-2168-5000
- Email address: KLACS@state.gov
- Embassy website: https://my.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates: https://step.state.gov/step/
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter