Documents to Bring
- Please go to the following sections to find the document requirements for some of our most common services: Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Passport Services, and Notarial Services.
- Certain documents are listed as optional. However, we strongly recommend that you bring them to the Embassy in case they are needed.
- Please remember to bring copies of all original documents to the appointment.
Photocopies / Copies of Original Documents
- You must bring a clear photocopy of the passport applicant’s bio page (including the signature page). For each applicant under the age of 16, you need to bring photocopies of both parents’ passports.
- You need to bring photocopies of all requested original documents submitted with the passport application (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, adoption decree, divorce decree).
- It is important that the photocopies be clear and match the original documents you are presenting for inspection.
- If you do not bring your own copies, then we can make copies for you.
Social Security Number (SSN)
- If your child does not have a SSN, then write zeros in the SSN field. However, if your child does not have a SSN, we recommend that you apply for a SSN for them. Please refer to the information on our webpage on First Time SSN Application.
- Note: Many U.S. Citizen children born in the U.S. or abroad do have social security numbers, but parents sometimes forget that they applied for their child’s SSN. Therefore, before initiating a new SSN application, we recommend that parents email the Social Security Administration in Manila to confirm that their child does not have a SSN already. Their email address is: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov .
Parental Signature / Presence
- Both parents of Applicants Age Below 16 must come to the Embassy and sign their child’s application before a consular officer.
- Please go to Applicants Age Below 16 on our Embassy webpage for an explanation of all of the situations where it is permissible for only one parent to be present during the minor child’s passport renewal appointment.
Photograph / Application photo
- Passport applications and Consular Report of Birth Abroad applications must have one 2”x 2” photo of the applicant. Photo must be:
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Taken in normal civilian attire without a hat or glasses
- Taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Please write down the address of your current primary residence. As long as it is your primary residence, it does not matter if it is in the U.S. or in Malaysia or somewhere else.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information. For minor applicants we suggest the emergency contact be someone the child does not normally travel with, like a grandparent or other relative.
Taking Care of your Passport
- We recommend the use of passport covers to protect against damage.