Passport Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. Every person appearing for an American Citizen Services appointment should take a queue number when they enter the consular waiting room.  The queue number machine is located just inside the consular waiting room entrance.

In light of COVID-19, the U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur is encouraging social distancing protocols.  Please arrive only at your exact appointment time – do not arrive early.  Practice social distancing and do not stand closely to other applicants who are not members of your immediate family or traveling party.  Follow the directions of the U.S. Embassy greeters and guards.

If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms or believe you may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, postpone your appointment by at least 14 days.

In accordance with the Government of Malaysia’s Ministry of Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommendations, all visitors to the U.S. Embassy must wear a cloth face covering or mask and observe social distancing protocols as established by the Embassy staff.  The U.S. Embassy will not distribute masks to visitors; please make arrangements to bring your own.

If you do not have a valid U.S. passport and have an urgent need to travel, the Embassy may be able to issue a limited-validity emergency passport under very specific and limited circumstances. Failure to plan adequately ahead for business or personal travel does not constitute an emergency.

If you believe you have qualifying circumstances and have attempted to schedule an appointment but have found there were no more slots available, please send us an e-mail to Please include the following:

  • Name and Contact Information;
  • A description of your situation

We will reply to you as soon as we can. We may not be able to accommodate all requests. Therefore, it is important that you plan well in advance of your trips.

We are not able to extend passports. If your passport has less than six months validity, you will need to apply for a new passport. Please refer to the application information posted on our website.

While we typically receive passports back from the U.S. in 10-14 days, please note that passport agencies in the United States are on reduced staffing and have suspended all processing and shipment of Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and full-validity passports (10-year passports for adults and 5-year passports for children under the age of 16) to Embassies and Consulates overseas.  We can accept your passport application; however, we cannot provide any estimated date when the full-validity passport will be available for collection.  You should expect significant delays of several months.

While we typically only keep passports up to 90 days after receiving them, we will hold passports for an extended period of time as a result of the Global COVID-19 Pandemic. Before coming to collect your passport, you should visit our website for Embassy public hours and closure dates.

You may delegate someone to pick up the passport on your behalf once it is ready, by sending us an email at, and advising us of the name, identification type, and identification number that said person will present. He/she must bring:

  • The collection/authorization slip
  • A valid government issued photo ID
  • Your current passport, which we will cancel and return same day

If there are any doubts regarding the validity of the authorization letter, the applicant will have to come to pick up his/her passport.

Passports for minors may be picked up by one of their parents or legal guardians or a designated representative.  The minor applicant does not need to return to the Embassy.

Yes, you are required to provide your social security number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for or renew a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued an SSN, write zeros in the SSN field of the passport application form you are completing.

To apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) from overseas, you must submit your application through the nearest regional Social Security Administration Federal Benefits Unit (FBU).  The regional FBU nearest Malaysia is located in Manila, Philippines:

Social Security Administration Division
U.S. Embassy Building
1131 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita
0930 Manila, Philippines
U.S. Embassy Manila tel: (+63) (2) 5301-2000 option 9
Fax: (+63) (2) 8708-9723

If you have forgotten your social security number, you will need to apply for a replacement social security card. Please review the instructions on the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila’s website here:

Once a passport is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, it is immediately and automatically cancelled to prevent mala-fide travelers from using it. Even if you recover your passport, it must be replaced, as you will experience significant problems if you attempt to use it to travel.