Steps for Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport
Step 1: Contact the American Citizens Services Section
Contact ACS as quickly as possible to report the loss in order to minimize the opportunity for someone else to use your passport for illicit purposes at:
Tel: (03) 2168-5000
Step 2: Report the Theft or Loss to the Royal Malaysian Police
Before you can have the passport replaced, you must also report the theft or loss to the Royal Malaysian Police and obtain a copy of the report that they prepare.
Step 3: Schedule an Appointment
Appointments are now required for all passport services. To make and cancel an appointment, please visit the ACS Appointment System Website.
Please schedule a different appointment for each person replacing their passport.
Step 4: Complete Passport Application Form DS-11 (PDF 97KB)
Do not sign Form DS-11 until requested to do so by the Consular Officer.
Step 5: Complete Form DS-64 (PDF 47KB)
Form DS-64 is a statement regarding a lost or stolen passport.
Step 6: Submit Forms and the Following Additional Documents in Person:
- Copy of the police report showing you have reported the loss or theft to the Royal Malaysian Police.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (original and one copy):
You may submit one or more of the following items:
- Previous full validity U.S. passport
- Certified Birth Record
- Consular Report of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate or
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Copy of the lost or stolen passport
- If you are not able to produce documentary proof of U.S. citizenship, the Consular Officer will interview you and check passport files to determine if you are an American Citizen.
Proof of Identity (original and one copy):
You may submit one or more of the following items containing your personal information with your signature and a recent photograph that clearly bears an identifiable resemblance of you:
- Valid U.S. or foreign passport;
- Valid U. S. driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s license);
- Valid U.S. government (Federal, State, municipal) identification card. Temporary, altered, or commercially issued documents are not acceptable.
U.S. Passport Photo:
Two color 2”by 2” Passport Photo
The photo must be:
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Taken in normal civilian attire without a hat or glasses
- Taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- As of November 1, 2016 you must remove your eyeglasses for passport photos.
Step 7: Pay Applicable Passport Fees
- US$145: Applicants age 16 and older
- US$115: Applicants below age 16
We accept most major international credit cards (charges billed in U.S. Dollars), U.S. Dollars, and the U.S. Dollar equivalent in Malaysian Ringgit. Personal checks and debit cards are NOT acceptable.
Note: Once a passport is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, it is immediately and automatically cancelled to prevent mala-fide travelers from using it. Even if you recover your passport, it must be replaced, as you will experience significant problems if you attempt to use it to travel.