The U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur requires appointments for all routine notary and passport services. Please bring your appointment confirmation sheet and arrive at the Embassy 15 minutes before your appointment time. People picking up passports do not need to make an appointment.
In order to serve you efficiently, the American Citizen Services Unit uses an online appointment system for all non-emergency notarial and passport services. The appointment system cuts the wait time in our office and allows us to provide you with better service. To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) please see the instructions here. We continue to provide Emergency Services on an as needed basis, but you must have an appointment for non-emergency services. We are not able to book appointments over the phone. You must use the online system to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services.
Day of Appointment Instructions:
- Please have all necessary forms/documentation completed and ready to present to an Embassy official;
- Bring a printed copy of your appointment confirmation page;
- Have your Passport and/or government-issued ID ready and easily accessible;
- Take a queue number at the entrance to the Consular waiting room.
Embassy security procedures require that all visitors receive a security inspection. You will be allowed to check one cell phone at the Embassy gate but the U.S. Embassy and local guards are not liable for any loss or damage to your cell phone while it is checked. You will NOT be allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy for your appointment carrying any of the following items:
- Any other battery-operated or electronic devices such as computer tablets, digital diaries, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, or portable music players;
- Any oversize shoulder bags or purses;
- Any oversize handbags and travel bags, large back-packs, briefcases, or suitcases. Applicants can only carry in clear bags containing papers needed for their appointment;
- Any food item;
- Sealed envelopes or packages;
- Cigarettes / cigars / match boxes / lighters;
- Any sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files;
- Weapons or explosive materials of any kind.
The list provided above is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff. Other than the one allowed cell phone, the U.S. Embassy will not accept the storage of any of the above prohibited items. You will have to make alternate arrangements to store these items before you enter the Embassy.
If you have read and understand fully all of the above information, you may make an appointment using our ACS Appointment System Website. Services include notary services, authentications, and passport services. See these instructions to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).