Current regulations reflect the long-standing policy of the Department of State that no person should be in possession of more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport at any time unless specifically authorized by the Department of State. Second fee passports are not issued for the convenience of a traveler.
The issuance of a second valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. The second valid passport may not be limited geographically, i.e. for travel in only a few countries. It will, however, be limited in time, valid for a period of two years. Thereafter, a new second valid passport must be applied for; second valid passports are no longer extendable.
To apply for a second valid passport, the applicant will need to submit the following documents during normal working hours:
- Completed passport application form DS-82 or DS-11, as appropriate;
- First-time applicant for a second valid passport: Bearer’s current normal validity U.S. passport(10 year passport);
- Renewal of second valid passport: Bearer’s current second valid passport and current normal validity U.S. passport;
- A signed written statement giving the reason(s) why the second passport is required, and attesting that the loss of either of the two passports will be reported immediately to Passport Services, or if abroad, to the nearest U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or Consular Agency;
- One colored photograph, 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches), head size from chin to top of head minimum 25 mm (1 inch), maximum 35 mm (1 3/8 inch), on a white, plain background, not including any white frame, taken within the last 6 months, printed on normal photographic paper, full face (no hat, sunglasses, bandana etc.);
- Passport fee: $110.00 (DS-82) or $135.00 (DS-11 adult), or $105.00 (DS-11 minor under 16).