Citizenship Services

On December 13, 2021, the State Department issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Malaysia, advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Malaysia due to COVID-19. For additional information, please see the full Travel Advisory.

If you are a U.S. citizen with a life-or-death emergency, please contact us at More information on COVID-19 in Malaysia can be found here.

Public Hours
Appointments are required for all services.  To make or cancel an appointment, please visit Make an Appointment. The Consular section will be closed on Malaysian and American holidays and training days.  For more details, please consult the list of Embassy closure dates.

  • Mornings: 8:00am – 12pm (Mon. – Fri.)
  • Afternoons: 1:00pm – 3:00pm (Mon. – Fri.)


  • The Embassy accepts payment in U.S. Dollars, Malaysian Ringgit or by credit card (Master Card, Visa Card, or American Express). Credit card charges will be made in U.S. Dollars and foreign exchange charges may apply.  We do not accept debit cards or checks.
  • No Parking at the Embassy: If you plan to visit the Embassy for consular services, please plan to arrive by public transportation or taxi or to seek parking in public parking lots.
  • Applicants who speak English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay, Tamil, or Hindi do NOT need to bring a translators.  Applicants who do NOT speak one of these languages should bring a translator. The translator must bring photo identification to the Embassy.

In light of COVID-19, the U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur is encouraging social distancing protocols.  Please arrive only at your exact appointment time – do not arrive early.  Appointments have been scheduled to account for your entire time at the U.S. Embassy, include security screening.  Practice social distancing and do not stand closely to other applicants who are not members of your immediate family or traveling party.  Follow the directions of the U.S. Embassy greeters and guards.

If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms or believe you may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, postpone your appointment by at least 14 days.

In accordance with the Government of Malaysia’s Ministry of Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommendations, all visitors to the U.S. Embassy must wear a cloth face covering or mask and observe social distancing protocols as established by the Embassy staff.  The U.S. Embassy will not distribute masks to visitors; please make arrangements to bring your own.


What Service Do You Require?

Messages for U.S. Citizens:

While recognizing the existence of dual nationality, the U.S. Government does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Dual nationality may hamper efforts by the U.S. Government to provide diplomatic and consular protection to individuals overseas.  When a U.S. citizen is in the other country of their dual nationality, that country has a predominant claim on the person.  A foreign country might claim you as a citizen of that country if (a) you were born there; (b) your parent or parents (and sometimes grandparents) are or were citizens of that country or (c) you are a naturalized U.S. citizen but are still considered a citizen under that country’s laws.  (The oath you take when you are naturalized as a U.S. citizen (8 CFR 337.1) doesn’t mean the foreign country does not still regard you as a citizen of that country.)  Public inquiries about the citizenship laws of other countries should be directed to the embassy or consulate of that country in the United States.  8 U.S.C. 1185(b) (Section 215 (b) INA) and 22 CFR 53.1 require that U.S. citizens exit and enter the United States on a U.S. passport, with certain limited exceptions (22 CFR 53.2).

If you wish to renounce your U.S. citizenship, please send an email with your full name, date, place of birth, U.S. passport number and residency status in Malaysia to

Further Information:

Social Security

If you reside in Malaysia and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Manila. For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at:

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

EAP Regional SSA Contact Information:
Social Security Administration
U.S. Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita
Manila, Philippines 0930

Inquiry Line: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9
(Inquiry Line is open from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Manila Time – which is in the same time zone as Malaysia)
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714


Medicare benefits are not available outside the United States.  For information about Medicare see and

Veterans Affairs

The Department of Veterans Affairs handles survivor claims, educational benefits, as well as compensation and pension examinations. Claims for benefits must be submitted directly to the VA.

Visit the Department of Veteran Affairs website for further information on available benefits and on how to apply.

Links for information regarding available VA benefits for Veterans living abroad can be found at Veterans Living Abroad.

Selective Service Registration

If you are a male U.S. citizen between the age of 18 and 26 you are required by law to register with the Selective Service; this includes dual national citizens. You must register within 30 days of your 18th birthday. If you fail to register you may be ineligible for federal student aid, most federal jobs, and federal job training. To register go to Selective Service System (SSS) webpage at Register Online.


The U.S. Embassy can assist U.S. citizens who are temporarily destitute in Malaysia due to robbery or other unforeseen circumstances. If you find yourself in this situation, there are a number of alternatives available.

  • Contacting Home: We can assist you in contacting family & friends the U.S. for financial help.
  • Wiring Money Directly: You or your family or friends may be able to contact Western Union or a similar commercial service that has offices in Malaysia to wire money directly to you. It will be necessary for the person receiving the money to present proof of identity such as a passport.
  • Credit Card Company: Another alternative is to contact your credit card company, which may be able to advance you funds temporarily. They may also be able to verify your credit card directly to your hotel or airline to enable you to checkout of your hotel, obtain replacement airline tickets, or other emergency services.
  • Send Money Through the Department of State: If the other options shown are not suitable, family or friends may send funds through the U.S. embassy or consulate using the Department of State Overseas Citizens Services.

Renunciation applications can only be made by setting up an interview with a U.S. Consular Officer. Renunciation applicants are required to attend two mandatory interviews with a Consular Officer. The initial interview is followed by a period of reflection before the second interview will be scheduled. At the second mandatory interview, the Consular Officer will witness the citizen’s signatures to the pertinent forms and administer the Oath of Renunciation of U.S. nationality. It is during the second interview that a non-refundable fee must be paid. This fee was instituted by the Department of State on July 13, 2010.

Applicants should email to schedule the initial interview appointment. Priority will be given to applicants who reside in Malaysia.

Renunciation of United States Citizenship

Renouncing U.S. citizenship is a voluntary act and not easily reversed. Those seeking renunciation must schedule an appointment for a renunciation interview, which is followed by a time of reflection, before the second mandatory interview.   It is during this second interview that a one-time non-refundable renunciation fee of US$2,350 must be paid.  We accept most major international credit cards, U.S. Dollars and Malaysian Ringgit. We do not accept debit cards.

During the initial interview, a Consular Officer will provide information about renunciation and its consequences. Items required for the interview include a U.S. passport(s), an original Naturalization Certificate (if applicable) and any other documents that establish U.S. citizenship.  If you are a national of another country as well, please bring evidence of the foreign nationality, such as a passport.

During the second interview, the renunciation applicant will be asked to sign a Statement of Understanding and an Oath of Renunciation before a Consular Officer. These documents record that the applicant understands the serious nature and consequences of the renunciation and undertakes this action voluntarily.

After the second interview, the case will be forwarded to the Department of State for review and decision. Only when the Department of State approves the case is the renunciation considered complete. The length of time for Department of State approval may be several months. Our office will contact you when this process is complete.

In addition, after the second interview, the U.S. Embassy will retain the renunciation applicant’s U.S. passport, U.S. Naturalization Certificate and other applicable or requested documents until further notice. When the Department of State contacts our office to confirm approval of the case, we will notify the renunciation applicant. If the renunciation case is approved, the applicant’s U.S. passport will be canceled and returned to the applicant.

For further information on renunciation, please follow the attached links:

  • Customs
  • Fingerprinting & FBI Background Checks
  • Locating a Missing Relative
  • Minor Traveling with One Parent or Someone Who is Not a Parent
  • Name Change


For information about Malaysian regulations regarding what may be brought in, please visit the Malaysian Customs website.

For information on the current regulatory requirements for medicines brought into Malaysia for personal use, please visit the Ministry of Health Malaysia webpage.

For information on what you can and cannot bring into the United States, including food and medications, please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection CBP Info Center. 

Fingerprinting & FBI Background Checks

The U.S. Embassy does not provide background checks for the U.S. or fingerprinting services except for U.S. adoption and naturalization cases.  For information on obtaining a “Good Conduct” certification or a U.S. criminal records check, please see the detailed instructions here.

Locating a Missing Relative

We are not able to assist you in locating a missing relative in the United States. You may want to search online for private resources that can assist you in locating an individual.

We are very limited in being able to assist you in searching for a relative in Malaysia. If you provide us with the following details about your family member we will attempt to contact him/her:

Full Name
Date of Birth
Passport Number
Travel Itinerary
Date entered Malaysia
Destination address/hotel
Names of traveling companions, if any

Please be advised that in accordance with the Privacy Act (PL-579), the American Embassy cannot release any information regarding a US citizen to anyone without their written consent, usually granted in the form of a signed Privacy Act Waiver.  Without this waiver, even if we are able to establish contact your relative, we will be extremely limited in our ability to share details with you.

Minor Traveling with One Parent or Someone Who is Not a Parent

Many countries and/or airlines require children traveling unaccompanied from their parents to have a parental consent letter. Neither United States nor Malaysia currently requires one; however, it is strongly recommended to have one unless the child is traveling with both parents.

The consent letter should include the child’s full name, date of birth & passport number; the name of the person s/he is traveling with, their relationship to the child and their passport number; the child’s itinerary; and, contact information for the non-accompanying parent(s). If only one parent has legal claims to the child, any relevant documents (birth certificate, court order, death certificate) should be attached to the consent letter. Information on getting the consent letter notarized can be found on our Notarial Services webpage.

In addition, you may wish to give the adult your child is traveling with a Power of Attorney for use in case of a medical emergency.

Information on specific country entry/exit requirements can be found on the Department of State’s webpage Learn About Your Destination. Please note that most countries require passports to have at least 6 months validity and sufficient visa pages to enter.

Name Change

We do not process name changes at the Embassy; this is usually done through the court system where you reside.

If you legally change your name, you need to apply for a new passport. You will need to apply in person and submit proof of your legal name change (original document and one photocopy). Please refer to the information on our Passports webpage.