To request a CRBA appointment, please follow these steps:
- Print the CRBA checklist. (PDF 459 KB)
- Gather all the required documents, particularly the required application forms.
- Send the following to the U.S. Embassy at the address listed below:
- Photocopies of all documents and completed forms as requested in the CRBA Checklist (DO NOT send originals);
- A photocopy of the non-U.S. citizen parent’s passport biographic information page or other form of identification,
- A photocopy of all pages of the U.S. citizen parent’s passport;
- The signed CRBA checklist;
- Your personal e-mail address, which we will use for scheduling your appointment and other communication; and
- A local (Malaysian) phone number where you can be reached, if you have a local number.
US Embassy Kuala Lumpur
Re: CRBA Application
ACS Unit, Consular Section
376 Jalan Tun Razak
Kuala Lumpur 50400
- Do NOT send originals of any documents. You will bring the originals with you when you come for your interview
- All requests for appointments must be sent by mail or courier service. Applications dropped off at the Embassy will NOT be accepted.
- Once our staff receives your documents and request for an appointment we will verify that you have all required documents and will contact you with appointment details. If anything is missing from the application packet we will contact you with further instructions.
- If the scheduled appointment is not possible for you to attend, you will need to contact us with details of your availability, and we will work with you to schedule a date that is feasible. If you fail to show up for your interview at the scheduled time, and we do not hear from you within seven (7) days, your file will be destroyed and you will need to restart the process from the beginning.
- The child and one parent must be present for the interview. We strongly encourage both parents to be present. The U.S. citizen parent’s attendance can be especially helpful if there are any questions about his or her meeting the physical presence requirements. *Note: If you are applying for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time as applying for the CRBA, both parents need to appear, or provide a signed and notarized DS-3053 Statement of Consent. See also the detailed instructions on page 4 of the CRBA checklist.
- You will need to come prepared with all original documents. Refer to the CRBA checklist for the details on required items. Even if you have already sent us copies of a document, you will need to bring the original with you.
- If you are not prepared on the day of your appointment, or are more than 30 minutes late for your appointment, you may be required to reschedule.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, send an e-mail to KLACS@state.gov in advance of the appointment date.
We recommend that parents apply for their child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the CRBA. The detailed instructions are found on page 4 of the CRBA checklist.
Social Security Cards
We can send the SS-5FS Social Security Card application form to the Social Security Administration (SSA) once the CRBA has been approved. The social security card will be sent directly to you at the address listed on the form. Alternatively, if you are planning on immigrating to the U.S. upon receipt of your child’s passport, you may apply for the Social Security Number in the U.S.
Additional Copies of CRBA
The Embassy cannot provide replacement or additional copies of the CRBA, but you may obtain them from the Department of State in Washington, DC. See here for instructions.