Important: As of January 9, 2017 all appointments for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) are made through a mail-in appointment system. We will start accepting applications via the mail-in appointment system on December 26, 2016 for CRBA appointments on and after January 9, 2017.

This system will reduce wait times for appointments, and will help applicants make sure you are prepared for your appointments at the Embassy. Detailed instructions on how to begin this process are below. Please read all instructions carefully in order to ensure that your application is processed as quickly as possible.

Applicants who speak English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay, Tamil, or Hindi do NOT need to bring their own translators.

Applicants who do NOT speak one of these languages should bring a translator. The translator must bring photo identification to the Embassy.

Most children born to U.S. citizens abroad acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. While the requirements can seem complicated (see “Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad“), the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit will help you work through the complexities to ensure your child is properly documented.

To document your child’s U.S. citizenship, his or her birth should be registered at the Embassy as soon after birth as possible. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) (Form FS-240) will be issued to serve as proof of citizenship. The CRBA can be used almost anywhere a U.S. birth certificate would be required, e.g., to apply for a passport, enter school, gain employment, etc.

Only the child’s parents (or legal guardian) can apply for a CRBA. Either parent, including a non-U.S. citizen parent, may execute and sign this application. If the application will be signed and executed by a legal guardian, a special power of attorney from the parent(s) and/or guardianship affidavit must be submitted. The application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and the child must personally appear at the U.S. Embassy.