The Ministry of Health Malaysia has reported 32 confirmed cases of typhoid since August in the following areas of Kuala Lumpur: Titiwangsa, Kepong, Pantai, and Cheras. No fatalities have been reported.
Typhoid is a communicable disease and there is a vaccination for it that is recommended by the CDC prior to travel to Malaysia. You can get typhoid fever if: you eat food or drink beverages that have been handled by a person who is shedding Salmonella Typhi or if sewage contaminated with Salmonella Typhi bacteria leaches into the water you use for drinking or washing food. Thus, typhoid fever is more common in areas of the world where hand washing is less frequent and water is likely to be contaminated with sewage. Once Salmonella Typhi bacteria have been ingested (via contaminated food or water), the bacteria multiply and spread into the bloodstream. The body then reacts with fever and other symptoms.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention online links:
- Typhoid Information
- CDC Typhoid Facts
- Vaccine Information Statement
- Food and Water Safety Information for Travelers
To obtain Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel notices, call the CDC at 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636) from within the United States, or 1-404-639-3534 from overseas or visit the CDC website.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Malaysia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Malaysia, located at 376 Jalan Tun Razak 50400, Kuala Lumpur, and is open 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. If you are a U.S. citizen and have any questions or concerns, please call the U.S. Embassy at (030) 2168-4979 or 4997 during normal business hours, or visit the U.S. Citizens Service website. We will post the most updated information on the website. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (03) 2168-5000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).