Travel Safety Tips and Immigration Requirements

Now that spring break and summer vacation are approaching, the U.S. Embassy would like to advise all U.S. citizens in Malaysia about the following travel safety tips and immigration requirements:

  1. Before you travel, make sure your U.S. passport has at least 6 months validity and has 2 blank pages
  2. Enroll in STEP ( for your travel destination
  3. Visit and familiarize yourself with visa requirements and the security situation of your destination
  4. Share your travel itinerary with friends and family before you leave so they’ll know how to help us contact you in an emergency
  5. Make two photocopies or digital images of all your travel documents in case of emergency or if your documents are lost or stolen
  6. Travelers who need to renew their passport should follow the detailed instructions on the Embassy’s website ( ).

Please note that if you are travelling with a new U.S. passport, you will need to transfer your existing Malaysian visa/pass/entry stamp from your cancelled U.S. passport, to your new passport. You cannot leave Malaysia on a passport that does not reflect your entry into Malaysia. You can do this at the Malaysian Immigration Department Headquarters in Putrajaya:

Malaysian Immigration Department Headquarters
No. 15, Floor 1-7 (Podium)
Persiaran Perdana
Presint 2
62550 Putrajaya
Tel: +603 8000 8000

Tourist entry stamp: Apply for a Special Pass in your new passport at the Enforcement Division, Level 4, Malaysian Immigration Department Headquarters. A Special Pass will be stapled to your new passport and will allow you to depart Malaysia. There is a fee of RM100. Bring your cancelled passport (if available), your police report (for lost or stolen passports), documents to confirm your entry into Malaysia, and proof of your departure date (flight/bus/train ticket) from Malaysia.

Employment Pass or Dependent Pass: Speak to your company or employer if they have processed your visas in the past. Your company’s HR Department can help you to transfer your existing Employment Pass or Dependent Pass to your new passport. This application can be made at Employment Pass Division, Level 3, Malaysian Immigration Department Headquarters.

Malaysia My 2nd Home (MM2H) visa: Contact the MM2H Team to apply for a transfer of your existing MM2H visa to your new passport.

For further information: