An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment

Important Reminder

Appointments are required for all notarial services. Please bring your appointment confirmation sheet and only arrive at the embassy at your scheduled appointment time.


Hand signing documentNotarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

      • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
      • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
      • Pay $50 USD per notary seal.
      • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
      • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

Scales, Seal, Pen

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government

Services We CAN Provide

Various Malaysian government offices may request that “certification” or “authentication” of documents, which we cannot provide (for more details, please see “Services we CANNOT provide” below).  However, the Embassy CAN notarize an affidavit which may or may not satisfy the Malaysian requirement for “certification.”

An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it. Please note the Embassy and Consulate assume no responsibility for the veracity of the representations that appear in the affidavit. Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

The following affidavit templates are available for your convenience. It is prudent to confirm in advance if the end recipient will accept an affidavit, as notarial fees are nonrefundable.

  • Blank Affidavit (Attestation of various types of requested information)
  • Marriage Affidavit (Attestation of “single status” in order to be married in Malaysia)
  • Malaysian Immigration Affidavit (Attestation regarding original civil documents such as birth and marriage certificates, often requested by Malaysian Immigration in association with the process of applying for a Malaysian visa)
  • Driver’s License Affidavit (Attestation required by the Malaysian Transportation Department for some classes of visa holders to use to obtain a Malaysian driver’s license.)

Acknowledgement of signature
An Acknowledgement of signature verifies a particular person signed a given document such as a deed or bill of sale. We can notarize only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of a Notarizing Officer. If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you are required to provide proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.

Power of Attorney
A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal action on your behalf, such as authorizing someone to buy or sell a property in the United States in your name while you are abroad. You can use our blank Power of Attorney or bring your own drafted one.  If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you are required to provide proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.

Authentication or Legalization of Malaysian Government Officials’ Signatures
Authentications certify the official seal, signature and/or authority of foreign officials who perform an official act with regard to a document that is to be used in the United States.  The U.S. Embassy may authenticate documents that bear the seal of the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs provided their signature is on file with this office. A Consular Authentication does not attest to the authenticity of the contents of a document but merely to the seal and signature of the issuing Malaysian government official.

Certified True Copies of U.S. Passports 

  • Certified true copies of original documents and foreign passports for use with Social Security applications when requested by the Manila Federal Benefits Unit
  • Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent for issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor (No fee required)
  • Certified true copies of a foreign passport for use with Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) applications.

More information is available on the ITIN page at IRS.gov. 

Services We CANNOT Provide

U.S. law precludes the provision of notarial services in certain cases. Among others, Notarizing Officers cannot provide notarial services in connection with:

Authentication, certification, or verification of public documents issued in the United States such as birth, residency, marriage, divorce, and death certificates; commercial records; driver’s license; and other credentials. Such documents must be authenticated in the United States for use overseas; for additional details, please visit the Department of State’s Notarial and Authentication Services or the Office of Authentication, or call 1-800-688-9889.Please visit the National Center for Health Statistics webpage Where to Write for Vital Records for state specific information on how to request copies of vital records.

In lieu of “authentication”, we can offer a self-sworn affidavit, in which the affiant affirms that the copy of the document attached to the affidavit is a true and correct copy of the original.  We can also issue a certified copy of a document, which simply notes that it is a true copy of the primary document.  Importantly, the certified true copy seal does not “certify” that the document the primary document is genuine, only that it is a true copy of the primary document.  Please confirm with the end recipient in advance if a self-sworn affidavit or certified true copy will be accepted.

Academic credentials, transcripts or degrees: Contact the educational institution which issued the document. For further information visit the Department of State’s website Authentication of American Academic Credentials for Use Abroad. You may also wish to contact the Malaysian-American Commission Of Educational Exchange (MACEE), as they may able to provide additional information and/or assistance with certifying your educational documents.

U.S. Apostilles:  Information on Apostilles can be found on the Department of State webpage Judicial Assistance – Notarial and Authentication (Apostille).

Signature or Medallion guarantees:  A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

Statements beyond the Consular Officer’s knowledge: e.g. that the document satisfies a specific legal requirement, that a person is the spouse of another, or an individual is an employee of a certain business or corporation.

Check out these recommendations for you