Event: On April 1, 2021, the Royal Malaysian Police (RMP) announced that Malaysia is increasing its terrorist threat alert level. The RMP did not cite a specific threat or group that caused this increase.
Last week, a suicide bomber attacked a Catholic church in the city of Makassar, in the South Sulawesi province of Indonesia. A few days later, a female suicide bomber engaged in a shootout inside the National Police headquarters in Jakarta. These attacks took place nearly two years after the coordinated suicide attacks on three Catholi
U.S. citizens are reminded to maintain a high level of vigilance, review their personal security plans, and remain alert to their surroundings. U.S. citizens are urged to enroll in STEP to receive security alerts.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter