An official website of the United States government

Replacement Emergency Passport
September 19, 2017

Save time. Complete and print your passport application form before coming to the Embassy.

Appointments are required for all passport services.  To make or cancel an appointment, please visit Make an Appointment.  Please schedule a different appointment for each person replacing their passport.

Replacing a Limited Emergency U.S. Passport With a Full-Validity Passport.
If you have a limited emergency passport that is valid for a year or less, you should replace it will a full-validity passport.  The replacement will be done at no additional charge if you request it before the emergency passport expires.

To replace your emergency passport, present it to the American Citizen Services section along with the following:

  • A completed Form DS-5504(PDF 89KB)
  • If the emergency passport belongs to a child under the age of 16, only one parent need appear and the child does not need to come.  Adults renewing for themselves must come in person.  No one can submit this for you.
  • We must have the current passports for all who are applying including that of one parent if applying for a child.
  • One (1) recent 2″ x 2″ (50mm X 50mm) passport photo.
  • Generally no fee is required unless you request your replacement of an emergency passport after it has already expired. In this case, you must pay the full fee again and submit the DS-82 for adults and DS-11 for children under age 16.