Most adult U.S. passport holders may apply to renew their ten-year passport by mail through Aramex courier service.
Please pay careful attention to the eligibility requirements and the required documentation listed below, particularly the passport fees. Ineligible applications, or those which contain incorrect fee payments, will not be accepted and will be returned to sender. Incomplete applications (particularly those missing the correct Social Security Number) will face delays.
Adult U.S. passport holders may renew their ten-year passport by mail utilizing Aramex courier service if their most recent U.S. passport is:
- Issued when the bearer was 16 years old or older;
- Issued within the last 15 years;
- Issued with a 10-year validity; and
- Issued in the bearer’s current name; or if legal documentation of a name change is also submitted.
Passport Cards: Please note that renewal by mail is currently available for passport book renewals only. If you wish to renew or apply for a passport card, you must make an appointment to apply in person.
Applicants who do not meet all of the above requirements must make an in-person appearance at the U.S. Embassy to apply for a passport, and may then utilize our one-way delivery service to have their new passport returned via Aramex. Please see Lost/Stolen Passport for instructions on replacing a lost/stolen passport. Please see Mutilated Passport for instructions on replacing a damaged passport. Please see Passport Services for instructions for all other passport applications.
Required Documentation and Fees
Passport applicants must submit the following documents via Aramex (do not send your passport applications directly to the U.S. Embassy):
- Completed DS-82 application form
- Application must be signed and dated and must include a valid telephone number and/or email address.
- You must provide a Social Security Number, if you have been issued one. A missing or incorrect Social Security Number will delay your application.
- If you do not have a Social Security Number, you must submit this signed and dated affidavit with your application.
- Original current (or most recent expired) U.S. passport. This passport will be canceled and returned to you by mail along with the new passport.
- A 2”x 2” passport photo with a white background that meets our passport photo requirements ;
- If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your current U.S. passport, you must include the original legal name change document. This includes: marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court-ordered name change document. Your original name change document will be returned with your new passport.
- Payment of passport fees as listed below in U.S. dollars or Ringgit. All passport fees are non-refundable. The U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur currently accepts the following payment methods (no other method of payment can be accepted):
- Online payment via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it with your application.
- Banker’s cheque made out to ‘U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur’ (U.S. dollar or Ringgit).
- Do not write anything additional on the face of the banker’s cheque (e.g.: name of the applicant). Our cashier is unable to process modified cheques as valid payment.
- The Embassy’s official exchange rate is subject to change. If you obtain your banker’s cheque in Ringgit, make sure to check the fee listed in the table below on the same day that you obtain your banker’s cheque to ensure it is in the correct amount. We will update this fee table at least one week in advance of any change in the exchange rate.
|Passport Book||USD $130
RM 572.00 (until March 30, 2023)
RM 598.00 (March 31, 2023 onwards)
- Applications that do not include proof of payment via the U.S. government’s secure payment site OR payment by banker’s cheque in the correct amount cannot be accepted and will be returned to sender. Do not round your fee payment up or down – payment must be in the precise amount listed above.
- Aramex PR2 form (will be provided by the Aramex office)
Submitting Your Passport Application via Aramex
To submit your passport application, bring all of the required documents listed above, plus the Aramex delivery service fee (described below), to one of the following Aramex offices:
|Petaling Jaya||No. 12C Hedgeford Innovation Park Jalan Tandang, 46050 Petaling Jaya, Selangor||8.30 am – 6:00 pm Mon – Fri
8.30 – 1:00 pm Sat
|Penang||42 Jalan Rangoon, 10400 George Town, Penang||9:00 am – 5:00 pm Mon- Fri
9:00 am – 12:00 pm Sat
|Johor||No. 24, Jalan Seri Perkasa 2/22 Taman Tampoi Utama, Johor Bahru 81200, Johor||9:00 am – 5:00pm Mon – Fri
8:30 am 12:30 pm Sat
|Ipoh||16 Medan Silibin Taman Silibin, Ipoh , 30100 , Perak||8.30 am – 6:00 pm Mon – Fri|
|Kuching||169 Ground Floor Jalan Chan Chin Ann, 93100 Kuching, Sarawak||9:00 am – 5:00 pm Mon- Fri
9:00 am – 1:00 pm Sat
|Kota Kinabalu||63, Kampung Kobusak Penampang, Jalan Pintas Penampang, 88300 Kota Kinabalu. Sabah||8:30 am – 5:30pm Mon – Fri
8:30 am -1:00 pm Sat
Aramex delivery service fees are listed below and may be paid in cash or by banker’s cheque made out to ‘Aramex Malaysia Sdn Bhd’. If you opt to collect your passport at an Aramex office rather than via home delivery, the payment for this additional service should be included in the total sum of your banker’s cheque to Aramex.
Service Type Rate per passport from/to West Malaysia Rate per passport from/to East Malaysia
Standard Passport Renewal Service
MYR 159 MYR 212
**Additional fees for pickup at Aramex office. (Note that passports will be held at Aramex for a maximum 15 Business days). MYR 20 MYR 20
Aramex will provide you with a shipment number for you to track your application. You can track your passport application through the Aramex website or by calling the Aramex contact center.
Obtaining Banker’s Cheques
The U.S. Embassy cannot recommend a specific banking institution; however, we have compiled the below list of Malaysian banks which may issue banker’s cheques. Other local banks may also offer such services, and we recommend that you contact your financial institution of choice directly to verify what services are available. The Department of State assumes no liability for the quality of services provided by the entities on this list.
U.S. passports are printed in the United States for passport applications that are accepted and approved here at the U.S. Embassy. Once a passport application is approved, it takes an average of ten business days to receive the new passport from the United States.
Applicants renewing their passports by mail should allow approximately 3-4 weeks for the passport application to be processed and the new U.S. passport to be delivered via Aramex.
Picking Up Your Passport at Aramex Offices
If you have opted to collect your document(s) from a designated Aramex office, please follow the below steps:
- When you arrive at Aramex Office, please provide the following to help identify your shipment:
- Your Aramex airway bill number
- Your full name
- Your telephone number
- Your original and valid alternative form of identification
- If you are picking up documents for a minor child, please provide Aramex with the following:
- Your Aramex airway bill number
- Your child’s full name
- Your telephone number
- Your (the parent) original and valid government-issued form of identification
- Your child’s original Malaysian birth certificate identifying you as a parent
- If you are unable to pick up your document from Aramex personally, you may nominate a representative to do so. Your representative must provide Aramex with the following:
- Their original valid government-issued photo identification
- A photocopy of your passport or valid alternative form of identification
- Original authorization letter signed by you, authorizing your representative to collect your new U.S. passport or your child’s U.S. passport, containing:
- The representative’s full name as shown on their government-issued photo identification
- Passport holder’s name and passport number
Aramex will attempt to deliver each passport a maximum of three times. Documents that cannot be delivered after three attempts will be returned to Aramex’s main office and may be collected by the applicant within 15 business days of the date that Aramex received your passport from the Embassy. After 15 days, undeliverable/uncollected documents will be returned to the U.S. Embassy for in person collection from the U.S. Embassy. Aramex fees will not be reimbursed.
The U.S. Embassy can hold passports for collection for 90 calendar days, after which uncollected documents will be returned to the Department of State for destruction.