Message for U.S. Citizens in Malaysia
June 29, 2022
Effective 12:01am (Malaysian time) on Wednesday, July 6, 2022, the U.S. Embassy’s official exchange rate for consular services will be adjusted to 4.5RM to $1USD. The current rate is 4.4RM to $1USD. As of July 6, the Embassy will be unable to process payments in Ringgit for consular services that are based on the former exchange rate.
Fees for in-person consular services paid in Ringgit will be adjusted automatically on July 6. If you plan to apply for renewal of your U.S. passport by mail, the last day to submit an application to Aramex (our designated courier service) with a check utilizing the former consular exchange rate will be Friday, July 1, 2022. After that date, passport renewal by mail fees should be paid in the following amounts:
- Total for passport book only: $130 USD= 585RM
- Passport card: $30 USD = 135RM
Passport applications received by mail on or after July 6 MUST include payment utilizing the new consular exchange rate. Applications received on or after this date which utilize the former exchange rate cannot be accepted and will be returned to sender at the sender’s expense.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter