Save time. Complete and print your passport application form before coming to the Embassy.
Steps for Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport
Step 1: Contact the American Citizens Services Section
Contact ACS as quickly as possible to report the loss in order to minimize the opportunity for someone else to use your passport for illicit purposes at:
Tel: (03) 2168-5000
Step 2: Report the Theft or Loss to the Royal Malaysia Police
While the U.S. Embassy does not require a police report to replace a lost or stolen passport, you should report the theft or loss to the Royal Malaysia Police. The police report will assist you with replacing your Malaysian visa and/or obtaining permission from the Malaysian authorities to depart the country.
Step 3: Schedule an Appointment
Appointments are required for all passport services. To make or cancel an appointment, please visit Make an Appointment. Please schedule a different appointment for each person replacing their passport.
Do not sign Form DS-11 until requested to do so by the Consular Officer.
Step 5: Complete Form DS-64
Step 6: Submit Forms and the Following Additional Documents in Person:
Proof of U.S. Citizenship (original and one copy of one of the following documents):
- Previous full validity U.S. passport
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Copy of the lost or stolen passport
- If you are not able to produce documentary proof of U.S. citizenship, the Consular Officer will interview you and review passport files to determine if you are an American Citizen.
Proof of Identity (original and one copy):
If possible, please submit one or more of the following documents containing your personal information with your signature and a recent photograph is clearly identifiable as you:
- Valid U.S. or foreign passport;
- Valid U. S. driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s license);
- Valid U.S. government (Federal, State, municipal) identification card. Temporary, altered, or commercially issued documents are not acceptable.
U.S. Passport Photo:
One color 2”by 2” Passport Photo
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Taken in normal civilian attire without a hat or glasses
- Taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
If available, a copy of the police report showing the loss or theft of your passport to the Royal Malaysia Police.
Step 7: Pay Applicable Passport Fees
- US$165: Applicants age 16 and older
- US$135: Applicants below age 16
We accept most major international credit cards (charges billed in U.S. Dollars), U.S. Dollars, and the U.S. Dollar equivalent in Malaysian Ringgit. Personal checks and debit cards are NOT accepted.
Note: Once a passport is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, it is automatically cancelled to prevent mala-fide travelers from using it. Even if you recover your passport, it must be replaced as you will experience significant problems if you attempt to use it to travel.