Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Event: On March 17, 2020, the Malaysia government announced 673 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
The government of Malaysia has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Government of Malaysia for additional information on these new measures.
The government of Malaysia has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools and universities are closed until March 31, sporting events, festivals, gatherings of people have been banned. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Effective March 17, the U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malaysia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
- Phone number: +603-2168-5000
- Email address: KLACS@state.gov
- Embassy website: https://my.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
• 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Alerts and Messages: https://my.usembassy.gov/category/alert/
- Embassy Kuala Lumpur main page: https://my.usembassy.gov/
- News & Events portion of Embassy website: https://my.usembassy.gov/category/news/