Event: Coronavirus Outbreak in China
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Hubei Province in China, including Wuhan, due to an ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus, which can be spread from person to person. Media report that the Health Ministry has confirmed three cases in Malaysia.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid all nonessential travel to Hubei Province in China, including Wuhan.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- If you traveled to Wuhan and feel sick, or were exposed to someone who was in Wuhan in the last six weeks who has fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, seek medical care right away. For the most up-to-date information, please consult the CDC website.
- U.S. citizens are urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
- Phone number: +603-2168-5000
- Email address: KLACS@state.gov
- Embassy website: https://my.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter