Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur (December 30, 2022)
U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
December 30, 2022
Event: COVID-19 Updates to Malaysian Entry Requirements
Health Screening Reinstated for All Travelers Arriving in Malaysia
The Malaysian Ministry of Health announced on December 30, 2022 that effective immediately, all travelers arriving in Malaysia will be required to undergo temperature checks for fever, and to self-report any other possible COVID-19 symptoms. Those found to be feverish or who display or self-report other possible COVID-19 symptoms will be subject to further health screening, which could include COVID-19 testing, and may be required to quarantine.
Travelers who test positive for COVID-19 upon arrival will be required to quarantine. The Malaysian Ministry of Health has not yet published further details regarding these new quarantine requirements, including the length of the required quarantine or whether travelers will be required to quarantine in a government quarantine facility or permitted to self-quarantine at home.
Our COVID-19 page will be updated as more details are announced. We also recommend travelers monitor the websites and social media of the Malaysian Ministry of Health and the Malaysian Immigration Department and contact the Malaysian authorities directly with any questions. The social media pages for these Malaysian agencies are often the first to be updated with the latest information on new policies.
General COVID-19 Information
For more information regarding COVID-19 in Malaysia, please review the following resources:
- Malaysian Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Portal for statistics and resources on COVID-19 in Malaysia
- U.S. Embassy webpage on COVID-19 in Malaysia for general information for U.S. citizens in Malaysia
Actions to Take
- All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens
- Consult the CDC website for up-to-date information and information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Please note that due to technical issues, there is currently no way for STEP registrants to unsubscribe themselves from receiving these messages. Please email us at KLACS@state.gov if you wish to unsubscribe, and we will manually process your request. You may continue to receive STEP messages for a short time, we appreciate your patience and understanding.