On April 18, 2017, the U.S. Potato Board, a national potato marketing and research organization that represents more than 2,500 potato growers and handlers in the United States, held a potato promotion supported by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) Kuala Lumpur. The multi-pronged promotion with the theme “Healthy Meals, Happy Families” included cooking demos by Dietician and Nutrition Culinary Expert, Indra Balaratnam, Parenting Expert and Child Developmentalist, Ruth Liew, and TV3 Newscaster, Azawate Zenol Abidin; a crazy potato contest; and a showcase of dishes created by Chef Elvin Goh.
A medium humble potato has 110 calories and provides 45% of the daily requirements of vitamin C and more potassium than a banana. It provides fiber and other vitamins and minerals. The challenge, as with most vegetables, is how to entice kids to eat them. The trick is to cook delicious and fun potato based entrees with them. Below is a recipe for a baked U.S. potato and mozzarella begedil created by Ms. Balaratnam, full of hidden vegetables, cheese and crunch – kid tested and approved!
U.S. POTATO AND MOZZARELLA CHEESE BEGEDIL
2 medium U.S. potatoes — peeled
1 cup carrot – finely shredded
1 cup green zucchini – finely shredded
1 medium red onion – finely chopped
2 cloves garlic – finely minced
1 teaspoons coriander powder
½ teaspoon paprika
Mozarella cheese – cubed
3 cups Cornflakes – crushed to make breadcrumbs
¼ cup milk
Melted butter for coating
- Boil peeled U.S. potatoes in boiling water till cooked. Mash it up with about ¼ cup milk.
- In a pan, heat up the olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic till lightly fragrant.
- Add in the shredded zucchini and carrot and mix well.
- Season with the coriander powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place corn flakes in a Ziploc bag, and crush with a rolling pin until they resemble fine bread crumbs. Set aside
- Mix the mashed U.S. potatoes with the cooked vegetable mixture and stir well. Taste and season with salt and pepper if required.
- Shape into balls, and place a cube of Mozzarella cheese in the middle.
- Coat with melted butter and roll in the cornflakes crumbs
- Bake in 180 degree Celsius oven for about 10 minutes till golden brown
- Serve immediately.