An official website of the United States government

Driver’s License Affidavit
June 12, 2020

The Malaysian Department of Transportation (JPJ) may request “certification” or “authentication” of a U.S. Driver’s License in association with an application for a Malaysian Driver’s License.  As explained on our Notarial Services page, we cannot authenticate public documents issued in the United States, including driver’s licenses.

However, there are other services we can provide.  We offer a self-sworn affidavit, in which the affiant affirms that the copy of the driver’s license attached to the affidavit is a true and correct copy of the original.  We also offer a certified copy of a driver’s license which notes that it is a true copy of the original license.  Importantly, the certified true copy seal does not “certify” that your license is genuine, only that it is a true copy of the original license.  However, please be advised that an affidavit or certified copy of a U.S. driver’s license may or may not be accepted as sufficient by the JPJ.  We recommend that you confirm with JPJ in advance which, of any, of these documents will be accepted, as fees for notarial services are non-refundable.

[Updated December 23, 2020] The JPJ permits the following categories of visa holders to convert their foreign license to a Malaysian license: spouses of Malaysian citizens, diplomatic, international organization, admin & technical, resident pass, talent pass, employment pass category 1 or 2, MM2H, and expatriate spouse.  Malaysian citizens holding foreign licenses may also apply for driver’s license conversion through the JPJ.  Our understanding from JPJ is that foreign nationals holding visas other than those listed above are ineligible for the driver’s license conversion process.  Foreign nationals may drive in Malaysia if they hold (1) a valid foreign license AND (2) a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) issued in the same country as the foreign license.  The U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur does not issue International Driving Permits.  More information on how to obtain an IDP is available on the Driving Abroad section of the Department of State website.

If you would like to proceed with a obtaining a driver’s license affidavit or certified copy of your driver’s license, you must bring your current/valid driver’s license and passport to your notarial appointment.

Click HERE (PDF 104 KB) to download our Driver’s License Affidavit form.

Fee: $50 for each affidavit.