U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
May 17, 2021
Location: U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
Event: An unscheduled demonstration on Jalan Tun Razak in front of the U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur.
Effective May 17, 2021 at 12:30 p.m., the Embassy front entrance is closed to all pedestrian traffic until the completion of the demonstration. U.S. citizens will not be able to collect passports during scheduled collection hours from 2:00-4:00 p.m. on May 17, 2021. We anticipate the front entrance will reopen as scheduled on May 18, 2021. Passport collection for U.S. citizens will resume from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.
There is no indication that this demonstration will become violent, but the Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the nature of protests can change quickly and with little warning. U.S. citizens are urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security alerts.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the front entrance of the U.S. Embassy beginning at 12:30 p.m. for the duration of the demonstration.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur
Phone number: +603-2168-5000
Email address: KLACS@state.gov
Embassy website: https://my.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Malaysia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter