Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (August 7, 2020 )
Event: Updated Level 3 Travel Advisory for Malaysia
Malaysia – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to Malaysia due to COVID-19. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Malaysia due to COVID-19.
Malaysia has resumed most transportation options, (including airport operations and a limited re-opening of borders – but with strict entry and quarantine requirements for new arrivals) and business operations (including day cares and schools). Other improved conditions have been reported within Malaysia. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Malaysia.
Exercise Increased Caution in:
- The eastern area of Sabah State due to kidnapping.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Malaysia:
- See the S. Embassy’s web pageregarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebookand Twitter.
- Review theCrime and Safety Reportfor Malaysia.
- S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Eastern Area of Sabah State
There is a threat of kidnappings-for-ransom from both terrorist and criminal groups. These groups may attack with little to no warning, targeting coastal resorts, island resorts, and boats ferrying tourists to resort islands.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in eastern Sabah as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to parts of eastern Sabah.
Read the Safety and Security Section on the country information page for further information regarding the Eastern area of Sabah State.
Last Update: Reissued on August 6, 2020 with updates to COVID-19 information.
- U.S. Embassy Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
376 Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
- Phone: 60-3-2168-5000